Sunday, February 03, 2013

Traveling Kosher, and HH News

First of all, Marina has put together an excellent comprehensive Havel Havalim, the weekly Jewish blog carnival in A Letter From Israel.  Please check it out, thanks.

Now, as many of you know, I've been in the states for the past week and a half.  My hosts are not Orthodox, Torah observant Jews, but they are all wonderful supportive people.  I've been at two locations which, although have some kosher restaurants, they are not easily available to where I've stayed.  In both Phoenix-Tempe-Scottsdale, AZ, and Atlanta, GA, on Shabbat I was hosted by very generous welcoming strangers.  But I had to eat kosher the rest of the time and granola bars, pretzels, yogurt, fruit, nuts etc    just aren't enough day after day.  So both hosts got me covered pots, cutting boards and a sharp knife, plus disposable dishes and cutlery.  I shopped for the required veggies and have kept myself healthily and happily well-fed.  In AZ, I knew that the kosher restaurants would be too much of an inconvenience to get to, so I also got canned salmon and beans for protein.  Here in GA, my hostess loves to try out restaurants, so my cooking is only for lighter meals.  Sometimes I "stretched" things by making delicious sauteed veggies and eating Hagan Daz mint chip as the protein.  Yes, I'm on vacation and I only eat that ice cream when in the states.

Healthy and kosher, even low carbohydrate, when visiting people with traif kitchens, is very doable, Baruch Hashem!

No comments: