Wednesday, June 21, 2017

What's Your Favorite Movie?


The other day, I had a few hours at home for cooking and simple chores. Now that I'm finally finished with the year of mourning for my father, I'm enjoying music and watching musicals on the TV's DVD. I pulled out one of my long time favorites, "Five Pennies."
Loring "Red" Nichols is a cornet-playing country boy who goes to New York in the 1920s full of musical ambition and principles. He gets a job playing in Wil Paradise's band, but quits to pursue his dream of playing Dixieland jazz. He forms the "Five Pennies" which features his wife, Bobbie, as vocalist. At the peak of his fame, Red and Bobbie's daughter, Dorothy, develops polio...
I first saw the movie on television when I was a kid and found it very moving, besides the fantastic music. I love corny movies, and I love musicals. This is the type of movie that can easily bring tears, and I'm not the crying type at all. It's not a musical in the sense that Guys and Dolls, Brigadoon or Dreamgirls are but the music and storyline are so amazing. Even though I've seen it dozens of times,  we do have the DVD now, I hate missing a second of it and press pause if I have to leave the room.

I have a large collection of DVDs, and some I've seen numerous times. This is one of them!

What is your favorite movie and what do you like about it?

No comments: