Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Evening walks

I was going to take a walk this morning, but by the time I was ready, I realized that it's really too hot, dry and sunny. So if I want to get into shape, or at least improve things a bissel, I'm going to have to take evening walks.

That's easier said than done, since by the time I get back from work and eat, I don't feel like doing anything at all. And if I walk first, it may be too late to eat, and then I'll nosh on worse things.

I may have a full day of classes today, and it's my long day, six teaching hours, two doubles and two singles. I just made up a worksheet for the new students from their book. One of the students lent it to me. Let's see how they do. It's well above the results of the "getting acquainted" test I had given them, but they did the pages I chose with their original teacher. It'll show whether or not they can handle work. I just hope my 9th graders behave. It seems like all I ever do is send notes to the homeroom teacher and principal about their rotten behavior.

It's getting to the end of the school year, and this hot weather brings out the worst in all of us. I'm not immune either.

ADHD wildness is an attempt by the sluggish brain to "wake up." At least that's what some neurologists say. How can I prepare myself for the long afternoon with teenage boys fighting the "fog?"

No comments: