Thursday, March 08, 2012

Fancy Coffee From Rami Levi?

If you're not a coffee drinker, then you may want to skip this or just share the link with those who do love their coffee.

It's in the news that Rami Levi wants to start marketing those fancy coffeemakers that make one cup at a time with a pre-measured "pod," of ground coffee beans to make  a cup of coffee.  I'm familiar with those machines.  I've been served that type of coffee by relatives in the states, and last summer we stayed at a hotel that had those machines in the rooms, so we could make ourselves coffee.

The little pre-packed "pods" were kosher, with certification, so I was able to drink the coffee from them.  All I needed to buy was some milk and disposable coffee cups. It's a very easy way to prepare delicious coffee, but it gets expensive if you drink a lot of coffee.  Since I drink the equivalent of 3-4 cups each morning, it did get annoying to have to make each cup separately.  But if you're trying to cut down on coffee, having one of these makes it easier.  One of the reasons they haven't taken off in Israel is the fact that fewer Israelis live alone than people in America, for instance.  We have larger families and rarely make "just one cup" of coffee.  We socialize at home.

Granted, using these coffee makers for a good cup of coffee costs much less money than buying a cup of coffee of that quality out. And it's a very no fuss way to make the coffee.  There's almost no cleaning, since you just throw out the used container and don't have to fuss with the dirty coffee grinds.

Considering Rami Levi's track record, he may be right.

2 comments:

rutimizrachi said...

My son in America has one. He wanted to buy one for me, not knowing about Rami Levi. I said no, quoting the story of the rav who, after arriving in America from the shtetls of Europe, refused ice cream offered to him by his talmidim. "Why should I give myself a teiveh I've never had?" Since I drink coffee like you do, Batya, I'll stick to the old-fashioned, less expensive methods.

Batya said...

Ruti, ahh, we agree, again. But after using it in the hotel, I found it annoying having to make each cup separately.