Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Teachers' woes, all the same

There are a lot of teachers in my family, and many of us went into "formal" teaching well after our twenties, even after our thirties and beyond.

We teach all sorts of things, all sorts of ages.

One of the clan started a new job and had to spend a week at the "new teacher orientation sessions." That meant learning how to fill in the attendance forms, entering grades into a computer and other necessary skills for a modern teacher.

The most valuable thing, getting the classroom ready was given the least amount of time on the schedule.

What I found most amazing was that they had what we call in Israel, "gibush" activities. That means activities to "meld the staff" and spend time establishing the aims of the school and "working together." Honestly, I only thought it was done in Israel.

A couple of times the past year we've gotten these "surveys" to fill out. There are questions like, from one to ten:
"How much to you socialize with the other
staff members?"


I'm always embarrassed that my answer is zero. It's not that I'm anti-social, but I just don't socialize at all with them. Very few live where I do.

I don't think that it is important for work. A few were invited to my daughter's wedding four years ago, and I've gone to some weddings of their kids, but that's it. We don't all live in the same community.

Apparently, they also had the students fill out a survey rating us, of all the nerve! Why don't we have a chance to rate the students?!

I missed all of the pre-school year orientation sessions, since I'm in NY now. So I'm in suspense on what type of schedule they've cooked up for me. I guess I'll have to complain later.

1 comment:

Zoemonster said...

Ha! It never changes. Once we spent one of those days lining up by our birthdays (Bonding occurred cuz we weren't allowed to communicate verbally)
Geez ....

rofl