Saturday, August 12, 2006

United?

Recently, since the war started, I've heard people saying:
"At least now there's unity."

I disagree. I don't see unity. When I tell them that, they say:
"But so many people are helping all of those who fled their homes."

My reply:
"That's chessed, kindness, not unity."

The definition of "unity:"

u·ni·ty (yū'nĭ-tē)
n., pl.
-ties.
The state or quality of being one; singleness.
The state or
quality of being in accord; harmony.

The combination or arrangement of
parts into a whole; unification.
A combination or union thus formed.
Singleness or constancy of purpose or action; continuity: “In an army you
need unity of purpose” (Emmeline Pankhurst).

All I see is a one-sided giving.

If we had true unity, everybody would be caring about everyone else, equally.

If we had true unity, every Israeli, every Jew would respect and value others.

If we had true unity, every Israeli, every Jew would see that the destruction of Gush Katif and Northern Shomron and exile of their innocent citizens endangered everyone, and if more Jewish communities are G-d forbid destroyed, others will be in even more danger.

If we had true unity, the Disengagement victims, those homeless would have rushed to Judea and Samaria to help strengthen us, and they wouldn't call us "fanatics" and refuse to support us, even though we were at the forefront of those protesting against Disengagement.

I'm sorry to say that I don't see any unity, though I do see some fantastic acts of "chessed." Yes, they are good, but we have a long way to go and not much time left.

No comments: