Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Telephone Drama

While muse was busy figuring out how to use her new camera I was busy sorting out a new mobile (cell) phone. The phone company we were on was taken over by another company and they decided to shut down the network we were on. So we had to "upgrade" to a new plan and new phone.

Simple? Of course not!

I wasn't happy with this "upgrade" as I was losing my local number (attached to the old plan/network), changing plans and getting a new phone.

I liked my old phone. It was simple: it made and received calls and sms's, easy to use and a good size without all the fancy extras that are standard in the new phones. With the "upgrade" offered to us, we had a choice of several phones but after a bit of research, I went with the one that was the best of a bad lot. The one that looked easiest to use (that was a flip phone) and to be honest, the least ugly and chunky! (It's still a heavy little thing.) I spent a fair bit of time figuring out the features of the new phone: camera, mp3 player, putting in all my numbers and changing the settings to how I like them. I'm not sure I've discovered all the multimedia features even though I did read through the manual.


Getting the number switched over, on to the correct plan and added to the right account was a drama in itself. We spent ages speaking to Indian people in the phone company call centre and going back and forth to the phone shop to sort out SIM cards and things. It took the better part of a week!

Now it's all in working order. I've customised the ring tones to my favourite songs, the screen wallpaper to a fun picture and discovered things like multimedia messaging!

Cellphones are all about convenience and being contactable, for work, safety, social or other reasons. But sometimes I wish for things to be simpler, less on-demand... like a time when I was little, before all this complicated technology invaded our homes.

2 comments:

Pragmatician said...

Sure is easier to keep the old phone isn't it?

Just the other day I had some alone time for once, when as if on purpose several people remembered to call me.
How I wished that day that cell phones had never been invented!

Sarah Likes Green said...

Couldn't keep the old phone... all the ones that were on the old network that we had didn't use a SIM card, it was some other thing and the new network doesn't recognise the old phones so we had to port the number over to a new SIM card and phone. This is why it got so complicated!

Alone time is easy enough... turn the phone off! Leave it at home! But then if you do that then there's always the thought of "who might need to contact me urgently...?"