Wednesday, June 18, 2008

While Drinking My Morning Coffee

I'm more careful than this guy.

When I was younger, I went through no-coffee phases. Now I start the day with a couple of large mugs of water then the same of nice strong coffee.

And yes, when I'm on the computer; though I don't have a computer like this one. Right now, I'd really appreciate it. I'm also listening to the news, via the computer, and don't want to miss any thing.

And the GOOD NEWS is that coffee is now considered "healthy," or at least "not bad for one's health." I drink the real thing with milk and sugar, no, not skimmed milk. Israeli "regular" milk has a bit less fat than American regular, but I'm not afraid of a bit of milk fat. I don't eat yellow cheese, which has much more fat. For those sensitive to lactose, the fat is better. Many of those lactose intolerant (allergic to milk--yes, I know that there's a bissel difference) have no problems with butter and other high fat dairy products.

6 comments:

Leora said...

We need some fat. So if your body can tolerate milk, don't worry about the full-fat milk.

In America, the regular milk is filled with all kinds of nasty hormones. So I buy the organic milk for my kids. I hope Israeli dairy farmers aren't using the same hormones for their cows. There are some who suspect nasty connections between dairy and cancer, and it could be those hormones. Or pesticides.

Oh, at least coffee is getting good press these days! I think it may be the antioxidants in the coffee bean. It is a plant, after all.

Batya said...

leora, how brilliant!
It's just some creamed vegetable soup with sweetner.

ps The worst is the homoginazation, which makes the fat stick to the lining of the blood vessels.

Lady-Light said...

(I'm reciprocating for your many comments on my blog, for which I thank you--by commenting on several of yours.) I drink organic, 1% milk, but I do eat cheeses (eggplant parmigiana-yum. I think we even had it for Shavuot)and I am addicted to soy coffee creamers, which are better than some, but still. . .
I always sit in front of my computer with a big mug of coffee & soy creamer, hazelnut flavored: it's my security thing.

Batya said...

ll, thanks, nice hearing from you
never tried the soy stuff, sounds good.
Now I'm trying to wake up

Anonymous said...

I seem to have a somewhat limited tolerance for dairy products. I eat some yogurt and cheeses, but I stick with rice milk for my cereal, actually. I was told that too much soy can throw one's hormones out of whack. Dairy also isn't the best for those with acne- there is even clinical proof. Then again, some say spicy foods and other items are also triggers for acne. One can only restrict oneself so much.

I try to keep things simple (natural/unprocessed) when possible. One good idea is making one's own snacks- hummus, pita chips, baked goods, etc.

Batya said...

t, yes, soy shouldn't be daily and certainly not for men and children of both sexes.

The milk lobby is a danger. Lots of people are discovering how "annoying conditions" are caused by dairy. Yogurt and white cheeses are best.