Friday, December 02, 2011

Frying Pan "Lentil Stew"

Here's one of my cooking "inventions."  I made a pretty quick "lentil stew" of sorts in a frying pan, a covered frying pan*.  I used those light brown lentils which cook the quickest.

  • brown lentils
  • onion
  • carrot
  • cabbage and/or squash/cauliflower etc
  • water
  • vegetable oil, whichever you use
  • spices/salt/pepper according to taste, including a slice or two of fresh ginger


The first thing I did was check through the lentils, to make sure there weren't any "foreign objects."  Then I put them in the frying pan and added boiling water, covered, cooked until they began to get soft.  Then I added the vegetables, more boiling water and oil, as you see in the above picture.  I covered and cooked it all until the carrots and lentils were soft.  You may want to add the cabbage only later on in the cooking so it won't get over-cooked.


It really was delicious, filling and an economical and easy to make meal! 

You can be very flexible and creative with the vegetables.  I add onions and carrots to absolutely everything, but you don't have to if you don't like them or are forbidden to eat them.  You can also use cooked/left-over vegetables, but it you do, just add them once the lentils are just about finished.  Personally, I don't like over-cooked vegetables.

ps Serve with salad

*A covered frying pan is one of my absolute necessities when setting up a kitchen.  You can use them for everything!

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Looks delicious! I'm going to try it next week.

Let you know how it comes out!

Shabbat Shalom
Miriam

Batya said...

Miriam, thanks. Not everyone can follow my "vague" recipes. I hope you can.