Thursday, August 16, 2012

And I Found Myself in...

I'm no expert in downtown (versus midtown where I had lived as a college student and always visit) New York City-Manhattan.    I went downtown to find a certain bank near the City Hall area and found myself by the wrong branch.  And I was suddenly in a neighborhood I hadn't been in for many decades. 


Yes, Chinatown.  I remember going there are day camp trips.  We would go into some stores and buy tiny paper parasols which broke very quickly.  I didn't buy anything this time.  I just took pictures.




It was nothing like my memories.

4 comments:

Leora said...

Fun photos! I've never been to Chinatown in NY, but I've walked through the one in Boston.

Bracha said...

A lot of what we knew as the Lower East Side growing up has now become part of Chinatown.

Rose said...

There's a good Chinese department store on Broadway above Canal St, Pearl River Trading Co.

Batya said...

Leora, it may be a fun place for you to go to. It's not all that far.
Bracha, I didn't grow up going to the Lower East Side. It's foreign territory for me.
Rose, ok, maybe next visit.