Sunday, August 19, 2012

Elul Kosher Cooking Carnival











Here I am back hosting the Kosher Cooking Carnival, the Jewish food blog carnival which includes all aspects of kosher food.  That means a lot more than just recipes.  We welcome posts about Jewish food traditions, halachot-Jewish laws pertaining to food, reviews of kosher cookbooks and restaurants and recipes, too, of course.  I began it quite a few years when a recipe carnival rejected my post because their theme was ham.  And since then, we've been going strong.

This blog carnival, a floating from blog to blog/site internet magazine is monthly, posted on Rosh Chodesh, the beginning of the Jewish month by various volunteer blogs.  We coordinate it via email and our facebook page/group.  You can send your post/link via blog carnival or fb message to whomever is the host for the upcoming month.  If you have questions or would like to host one, just contact me.

Here are the posts I received via blog carnival, after weeding out the spam.  I'll follow them with some of mine and others.

anything kosher!

Chaviva Karon presents Italian Wedding Soup posted at Challah Maidel, saying, "Your audience may enjoy this recipe"
Yosef presents Giveaway: Taste the world with JWines posted at This American Bite.
Katie Sorene presents 3 Asian-Inspired Kosher Recipes posted at The Flying Fugu, saying, "Asian cooking can be kosher! Chinese chicken soup, teriyaki salmon and mango sticky rice - a delicious menu for your next kosher Asian dinner party."

desserts

Jay3fer presents Easy last-minute (pareve) Shabbos brittle! posted at Adventures in Mama-Land, saying, "The perfect treat to bring to the table after a Shabbos meal OR to pack up for mishloach manot, party treats, etc. You could pay a small fortune in the store - or, for the price of some almonds and sugar - have it at home in minutes!"
Mrs. S. presents Cinnamon Buns posted at Our Shiputzim: A Work In Progress, saying, "Thanks for all your hard work!"

economical use of left-overs

Hindy Garfinkel presents Corned Beef Hash Egg Rolls posted at Confident Cook, Hesitant Baker.

Every day meals

Ohra Wellness presents Summer Quinoa posted at Ohra Wellness, saying, "Its a one-bowl meal!" I must tell you that I ate this, and it's really delicious.
Hindy Garfinkel presents Meatless Monday: Socca with Mushroom and Tofu Saute posted at Confident Cook, Hesitant Baker.
Yosef presents Protein Rich, Personal Pita Pizzas posted at This American Bite.
Leora Wenger presents Chicken, Ginger and Cabbage - Cook with Coconut Oil posted at Here in HP, saying, "Leftover chicken, anyone?"
Hindy Garfinkel presents Vegetable and Rice Patties posted at Confident Cook, Hesitant Baker.

Halacha

Batya (that's me) presents Feasting on Tisha (the 9th of) B'Av posted at me-ander.

Jewish Shabbat and Holiday food

Jay3fer presents Whole Lotta Challah Going Down! posted at Adventures in BreadLand, saying, "Dealing with a large batch of challah dough... fun!"
Ester a.k.a. Northern Lights presents Whole Wheat Challah posted at Frugal and Kosher, saying, "Thank you!"

During my past couple of visits to New York I've eaten at U Cafe` quite a few times, and every meal was a real treat.  I guess one of the best things I can say is that you don't have to be kosher to be a fan of theirs.  My non-kosher eating partners all were enthusiastic about the food.

New York is no longer the center of our family life in America.  My parents and sister now live in the Phoenix, AZ area.  It's possible to eat kosher well, even when everything is traif.  I keep a pot, cutting board and knife there so I can make my own food.  A friend took me out for one meal in a kosher pizza place; though we didn't eat pizza.

When I posted a query about the reliability of the kashrut of a certain hechshar I received very mixed replies.  I found myself corresponding with someone who actually knows the rabbi in question, and he said that the hechshar is reliable.  A cousin in Philadelphia who organized my family reunion day there discovered how complicated it can be.  One of the restaurants she planned on taking me to which had been recommended by kosher food eaters is vegan but open on Shabbat.  I told her that I'd prefer only a shomer shabbat one.  That is also what the OU recommends.

Don't worry, we found enough kosher restaurants in Philly.

That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of kosher cooking carnival-kcc using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index pageLeora is hosting the Tishrei edition.  I'll set up blog carnival to forward your links to her or facebook message her via our fb page.
Share |

Technorati tags: , .

7 comments:

Yosefa @nonrecipe said...

Wow, last month went fast and I forgot to submit. I've been making Sabra ices that my kids go crazy for. Thanks for hosting and have a great month!

Leora said...

Yum, summer quinoa looks and sounds great.

Thanks for hosting and for managing the carnival!

Batya said...

Yosefa, so maybe you'll make up for it in the next edition.

Leora, I've eaten the quinoa salad when in the states. Now I have to try to cook it.

Ester said...

Thanks for including my Challah post!

When you make quinoa, make sure you rinse and rinse and rinse again, by the way. If you don't rinse it really well, you'll have a a bitter, soapy flavored quinoa. Enjoy! I like quinoa a lot, but my texture-obsessed family won't agree to eat it much...

Batya said...

They are so tiny; it's hard to rinse them. I haven't noticed a strange flavor.

Mrs. S. said...

Great job, and thanks for including my post!

Batya said...

My pleasure, thank you!