Wednesday, August 01, 2012

B"H, Home Sweet Home

Yes, thank G-d I'm home in Shiloh.  It was a busy two weeks.  I spent a lot of time with family and a couple of friends who are like family to me.  I flew United (Continental) for the first time.  I must admit that it was a comfortable flight.  On the international legs there was such a choice of movies, tv shows and games, that it was hard to resist and get needed sleep.

Unlike last year's flight home when I had to call for assistance when the man sitting behind me kept shaking my seat and hitting my head whenever he stood up or sat down, this time I wasn't disturbed.  I think that one of the reasons is that the United seats are better padded than the Delta and El Al.  And there's more space by an inch or so at least.

I always request aisle seats and was assigned aisle for all but the last of four flights.  I decided to consider the opportunity to look out of the window a treat instead of fighting politely asking for one.  The two women sitting in the other seats near me wanted to sleep, so the one in the aisle seat voluntarily switched with me.  Now that's a great way of solving the problem.

I also decided to go home by bus, taking advantage of the senior fare.  From airport to Shiloh, like the reverse trip is just ns24 total.  That's maybe $7 or $8.  OK, I had to walk a bit with the suitcase.  My carry-on can be wheeled or worn as a backpack, which made it doable.  I couldn't have had done it with two wheeling bags.  I do need a new one, but that will have to wait for the next trip.

And it ended up that my suitcase weighed much less than the maximum.  I could have had bought more.  Maybe I should have taken the $400- offered to take a later flight and gone shopping....

No comments: