Friday, May 24, 2013

And Yesterday, 14,877 Steps

site
A couple of weeks ago, a friend came in from the states and gave me a pedometer.  It took awhile for me to get it into my routine, putting it on my skirt's waistband, but recently I've been regaling my facebook friends with the daily count most nights before I go to sleep.

Yesterday I had already logged out of facebook before checking the number, so I emailed myself, 14,877 steps.

I know that ten thousand 10,000 steps are supposed to be considered a lot, but either I didn't set my pedometer up correctly or my lifestyle is much more active than the standard one.

We don't have a car, so I find myself walking lots more than most people must walk, and that's without making a point of walking for fitness sake. Also my job requires that I be on my feet and walk around.  After almost two and a half years working in the store, Yafiz clothing in Sha'ar Binyamin, I don't find it more exhausting, rather less so.  One thing is that I'm more relaxed and less stressed.  I know what's supposed to be and how it is run and have taken on various unofficial responsibilities.

Some days I'm surprised by the number of steps, not realizing I had walked so much, but yesterday I was disappointed.  I had been certain that I had walked a lot more.  I had gotten a ride from work to Jerusalem.  I needed to see relatives in the Inbal hotel and had been left of near the Misgav Ladach Hospital. Since I saw that the bus I needed had just pulled out, and it's not a frequent bus at all, I walked.  The only real problem was that I don't know that section of Jerusalem and my previous "following my nose" attempts to get places had gotten me lost.

My husband, who knows the area sans most street names gave me the general direction.  Then I asked people and I'm pretty sure I got to the hotel before the next bus would have.  It didn't take all that long, though it was too hot for wandering in the sun.  For sure without the "adventure" I wouldn't have passed the 10,000 step benchmark. It also helped that I didn't get a ride up the hill home from the bus stop in Shiloh.

Today is Friday, and considering that I was out of the house all day yesterday until late, I have all of the Shabbat preparations to do, so I doubt if I'll do enough walking.

Shabbat Shalom

No comments: