Sunday, December 06, 2009

Havel Havelim, The Balagan!

Cross-posted on Shiloh Musings
 

It's Wednesday morning as I begin writing this edition of the Jewish Blog Carnival, Havel Havelim #246,  I'm a nervous wreck.  Now, considering that I've probably hosted more Jewish Blog Carnivals than anyone else, when you add up the HH's to Kosher Cooking Carnival and JPIX, this should be a cinch. 

Sorry, but there's a problem.  We've become very dependent on the services of blog carnival, and it hasn't been forwarding posts.  And it hasn't been sending receipts either.  Considering that new carnival editions are still being posted on its site, I may receive its instacarnival, the special cheating html for no effort carnival hosting.  But I can't wait until Friday.  So I'm composing this one on yahoo and saving it as a draft.   I can mail my posts to blogger, bli eyin haraa, so they'll go up that way.  If I do get the instacarnival, that too will get posted.  I received an email from someone who hosted a recent blog carnival that no instacarnival came to her, but she got listings of submitted posts.  I didn't even get those.  PS no instacarnival either!

Why "Balagan?"  Simple, it means chaos, and this has been a chaotic week for even the most experienced blog carnival host.



It's not only Havel Havelim which has challenged my sanity.  As you can see in the above picture, I had to run local elections on a windy bench late at night when we couldn't get into the school.  Later on we did get in, so I hope that this Havel Havelim will have a happy conclusion.


Now for Havel Havelim # 246!


Havel Havelim is the most veteran of the jblogger carnivals and probably one of the longest running blog carnivals there is. Blog carnivals are like "floating" internet magazines. They float from blog to blog, like "floating crap games," l'havdil.

Havel Havelim, the international jblog carnival, was established by Soccer Dad, and is now run by Jack. The term "Havel Havelim" is from Kohelet, Ecclesiastes, which was written by King Solomon, who built the Holy Temple in Jerusalem and later on got all bogged down in materialism and other "excesses" and finally realized that it was nothing but norishkeit, "havel" or in English "vanities." I think that King Solomon and his father King David were the original "bloggers." The books they wrote, when you take them chapter by chapter, can easily be described as blog posts. The stones they used to write on made them last, so that we can read them now. I doubt if today's technology will preserve our words for so long.

To make my your great efforts worthwhile, please be sure to post about this edition and pass the link to everyone possible.

Due to the chaotic and uncertain nature of this edition, I am going to welcome you into my panic state and present mysterious uncredited blog post titles for your reading pleasure.  This way there's a good chance that you'll become acquainted with new blogs.  That's the point of blog carnivals, meet and get met!  Think of it as a "costume party" where everyone's masked.  That's right.  I'll just post the titles, and you'll take a look at the post.  I hope this way you'll get to meet more and more blogs.

Here goes:

Murder charges for man who attacked terrorist
I drove all night, to get to you…
Jlembusmap.com
Emotional Insanity
Netanyahu: Settlement Freeze is Temporary, One Time

Such a Treat!



Coming together

Street Art and Grafitti in Tel Aviv


Something is Rotten in the State of Denmark
Celebrating Gratitude


Oh, you don't work?

All the World's a Kitchen: Cantor Shares Music and Tradition "In Bubby's Kitchen"

No Need For Paul Revere When You Have Email

Why We (Still) Need Checkpoints

What should be on the Rabbi's agenda?


Technorati tags: haveil havalim, blog carnival.

And don't forget:
Please mail the HH link to all of your friends and put up a blurb on your blog to encourage your fans to visit Havel Havelim.


Nobody seems to know why blog carnival has reduced its services.  I didn't hear from them at all, not as blog carnvial host, nor as blogger and they didn't even reply to my letter.


This upcoming edition is now "closed."  The Israel Situation hosts next week's, and I suggest emailing them directly with your link, subject: HH.


For the next Kosher Cooking Carnival, which will be at kosher.com, send your links to shilohmuse at gmail dot com with KCC as subject, and I'll forward it.  Use the same address if you'd like to volunteer as carnival host.




If there are any correctable foul-ups/mistakes, please let me know, thanks.  Considering that nobody knows if bc will ever return the services we've become so dependent on, I'm willing to mentor/coach other blog carnival hosts in how to get a carnival done under today's conditions.  Just ask.


Shavua Tov U'Mevorach—May You Have A Good and Blessed Week!

9 comments:

rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Nice job.

Mrs. S. said...

Kol hakavod, and thanks for including me.
http://ourshiputzim.blogspot.com/2009/12/new-computer-and-hh.html

Anonymous said...

awesome job! thanks for including me.

Batya said...

Thanks to all of you!!!

Lady-Light said...

This HH is definitely...different. Actually, it's exciting (even if I didn't submit anything this time)-thank you for an exciting and mysterious HH#246.

Batya said...

Oh, LL, I really planned on putting up one of your posts, but forgot. sorry!!

I hope you've been pleasantly surprised by the posts you've checked out according to their titles.

Lisa said...

hey! I always figured my blog was too boring for this sort of thing... thanks for including me, and maybe ill be brave enough to submit next time

NonymousG said...

I thought it was weird there was no receipt :(

Batya said...

lisa, I saw the post and thought it perfect. Blog carnivals are the perfect vehicle for all!

nathan, sorry, I tried publicizing the mess with bc. Why don't you put your post in a comment...