Thursday, December 24, 2009

Finally, Fruit Salad


I feel rather "debili" stupid as they say in Hebrew, considering that I've been cooking for decades, half a century or more, since I started as a kid.  And would you believe that I don't ever remember making fruit salads? I've made compotes, applesauce, sliced fruit on a plate, melon balls in a scooped out watermelon etc, but not a good all purpose, anything goes, simple as can be, so easy a child can make fruit salad.


The closest I got to it was at one of those community events we used to have.  It was an activity to turn my stomach.  Everyone was given unrinsed fruit in their unwashed hands and told to cut or pull it apart and dump into a communal bowl for a communal meal of fruit, virus and bacteria.  What's a little dirt for flavoring between friends?


I got the local doctor to ban those activities during a jaundice epidemic about twenty years ago.  Actually, I've been told that it's a great vaccination program when started young, but Shiloh is populated with a wide spectrum of Jews from so many backgrounds and some of us don't carry enough immunities to survive these treats.


Yesterday, with well-washed hands, I took the fruit, rinsed it and cut it into irregular-sized (I'm not obsessive compulsive about the aesthetics of food, just cleanliness) pieces. Then I served it to the Movie Club.


Here's a list of the fruit in the order cut:
  • apple
  • banana
  • red grapefruit
  • orange
  • a tiny bit of fresh ginger


Some people even had seconds.  Sorry no pictures.

4 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

Sounds yummy!

Batya said...

It was; I finished it to the last slurp of juice. No sugar added!

Anonymous said...

I never thought of adding ginger to a fruit salad! I love ginger and I think it's an EXCELLENT idea. I am going to add it to my dessert repertoire.

Mark
twitter.com/MarkSoFla

Batya said...

It's not original; I ate it somewhere, but it's great!!