Monday, November 07, 2011

Mixed Day, Very Good and Very ... "Rantable*"

Rant is the modern or WASPy word for vetch.  And even though I had a totally gevaldik day at work in some ways, the return home was difficult.  OK, at least I wasn't drenched in rain. And Baruch Hashem, thank The Good Lord, I made it home.

I don't have time to write the full story, so let's start with the good.

One of the great things about working in Yafiz, Sha'ar Binyamin, is that I get to see lots of people.  Some are of my past and all sorts of various parts of my past.  Last night, two young mothers, neighbors, former students of mine from the temporary 13 year job as gym teacher.  One of them is a good friend of my daughter who had been visiting Israel and had just a couple of hours before boarding her airplane.  I knew that my daughter had tried to reach her, so I called my daughter and gave the woman the phone.  That was good.

Later, while they were still in the store, another neighbor called who needed a very urgent favor.  Again, I passed the phone to the same woman who was able to help her out.  I considered the evening/night as going very well.

Well... the end was OK.  I did make it home, but it was a long, exhausting trip.  It ended with being forced to walk that last kilometer up hill, all the way home.  But, yes, I shouldn't complain.  Thank G-d I'm safe and healthy.  And thank G-d for giving me the physical stamina at my age to do all that I do. 

OK, *rantable may not be the best word, but I do feel like kvetching. I hope you don't mind.

2 comments:

Julie@walkablejlm said...

About having the stamina:
Someone I know who is a few years before retirement told me that they're trying to make as much money as possible now so they can afford a "Filipina" to do their housework for them when they retire.
All I could think was, when the time comes I hope, G-d willing, to be healthy enough to do my own housework ...

Batya said...

My daughter "warned us" that the stronger one is at 60, the more chance you'd need nursing care. She's worried about who's going to pay for it.

The "smart people" do save what they can for the future. I'm just trying to pay the bills.

When the time comes, we'll just have to "down-size."