Monday, March 27, 2017

Perfect Lunch, Even for Non-Dieters

I'm a firm believer that if you want to lose weight and keep it off you can't make yourself suffer. If you do, you won't be able to stick to it. When I managed to change my way of eating to get off about thirty pounds 30 lbs, 15 kg, I still ate a lot, and I made sure the food was delicious.

I refused to take the skin off the chicken, because I knew that I'd absolutely hate it and have to doctor the chicken with extra stuff, which would have calories, salt etc.

Being Blood Type* O, I really need to stay away from carbohydrates, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc. And for energy and feeling satiated I must eat a portion, one is enough, of animal protein. That lasts, while vegan meals don't. I'm starving just a few hours later. And that feeling of "starving" isn't good, because it means that your metabolism may be slowing down to protect you, and you're more likely to grab something and quantities you shouldn't be eating.

my usual vegetable base
This may have something to do with my being Type O; the only non-animal protein that keeps me satisfied for hours is sesame paste. It's very rich, and I don't even need to add anything or make it into techina. The sesame paste I buy does not have added salt. When I'm taking a meal along with me, I don't take a sandwich, I make vegetables and add the sesame paste. I store it in a container, and it's delicious and filling.

Yesterday, since I wasn't quite sure what my dinner would be, I made a special lunch. It had a nice piece of salmon and a lot of vegetables, including celery, which I don't usually find in the fridge. That meal with a bit of salad kept me nice, satisfied and functioning for quite a few hours.

Deprivation is not the way to diet or keep weight off. The best way is to eat well for your body and that includes eating frequently enough. The vegetables I cooked with the salmon are onion, garlic, squash, celery and cabbage. You can have cabbage in great quantities without it causing weight gain, but you must have some protein, too, along with something fatty or you'll be hungry soon after.

*Blood Type diet

The Blood Type Diet: An Evidence-Based ReviewThis is how each blood type is supposed to eat:
  • Type A: Called the agrarian, or cultivator. People who are type A should eat a diet rich in plants, and completely free of “toxic” red meat. This closely resembles a vegetarian diet.
  • Type B: Called the nomad. These people can eat plants and most meats (except chicken and pork), and can also eat some dairy. However, they should avoid wheat, corn, lentils, tomatoes and a few other foods.
  • Type AB: Called the enigma. Described as a mix between types A and B. Foods to eat include seafood, tofu, dairy, beans and grains. They should avoid kidney beans, corn, beef and chicken.
  • Type O: Called the hunter. This is a high-protein diet based largely on meat, fish, poultry, certain fruits and vegetables, but limited in grains, legumes and dairy. It closely resembles the paleo diet.

4 comments:

DOCLTC said...

I wish you nothing but success in your endeavors to eat well and lose weight. But, as a physician/scientist I hate to disappoint you. There is absolutely no scientific evidence to support the blood type diet. It's total nonsense, with no evidence and not a single properly conducted clinical trial to back up its claims. The website you link to is - well - full of it.

Eat clean, unprocessed foods, and exercise a bit. You'll be fine. Don't waste your time limiting yourself based on some silly disproven blood type garbage.

Batya said...

But it does work for me. I feel more satisfied eating this way, so I eat less. I used to be a vegetarian and much heavier.

DOCLTC said...

If it works for you - then more power to you. As a former overweight person, I am quite sensitive to the difficulty of losing weight and keeping it off. My only disagreement is assigning any scientific basis to the notion that your blood type determines what diet will work for you and what in general you should be eating. There is absolutely no scientific basis for that. None.

Batya said...

Then there's another factor for a low carb diet working best for me.