Wednesday, September 09, 2009

I Needed Today

Today I stayed home.  I needed it.  You just can't imagine how much.  Yesterday when I got to work I felt like I had too much caffein in my system, but I hadn't had more coffee than usual.  I just hadn't had enough sleep this week.

I forced myself to relax and ate a few walnuts, I now keep in my bag for when I need some food.  And then I went to teach and felt fine, even though it was a long day.

Luckily I hadn't made any plans for today, other than to be home and relax.  I even turned off my alarm.  But strangely I dreamt that I was awake.  There are people who think they're insomniacs who do that all the time, but it's rare for me.

My big plans for today involved cooking for Rosh Hashannah.  I cooked chicken which is now already in the freezer, and I made some Gefilte Fish, a little differently from my usual.  When the fish cools, I'll freeze it, too.  It's really very easy.  The ground fish has been in the freezer since before Passover.  We always get extra

I defrosted it and added shredded/grated onions and carrots, a couple of eggs, matzah meal, salt, pepper, sugar and dehydrated parsley. 

While it "sat," I boiled water with sliced onions, salt, pepper and sugar.  When it was boiling hard, I "double-spoon" dropped the fish mix into the water.  I added sliced carrots, covered and let it all cook for an hour or so.
Yes, that's it!  It's really that easy to make Geffilte Fish.  For basic quantities:

per half kilo or one pound ground fish (whatever is available)-
  • a medium onion
  • an egg or two, depending on size
  • enough matzah meal, so it sticks together, not runny

No comments: