Thursday, September 17, 2009

About Apples and Honey

Chana wrote a very sweet post about  apples and honey, worth reading.  Just one point I disagree with in her article.  It's about the use of honey as a cure/soothing for coughs, colds etc.  In my experience, though it tastes great when you may have trouble eating, the extra sugar in the system may cause other problems.  I've found that making a bullion, a clear soup, from miso balances the body which facilitates curing, better health.



Here's my comment to her:
Growing up in very homogenized post-WWII America, there was only one type of honey. Then in the mid-70's we were on shlichut to London and someone gave us a Rosh Hashannah gift of a variety of honeys. That was my first chance to taste honey flavors!


Our bodies need something sweet, and my Shabbat dessert is baked apples. No sugar added, since baking concentrates the natural sweetness.

No comments: