Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Pigging Out

The latest research in losing weight and keeping it off has some surprising news. Not only are we supposed to "eat in-between meals," but once a week, or at least every two weeks we're supposed to eat more than usual. We're supposed to eat something we theoretically shouldn't eat. It keeps our metabolism hopping instead of forcing it to slow down and conserve energy.


For many that's great news, but I have trouble with it. Not that I'm tempted to do it more often or that I exaggerate and eat too much. My problem is that sometimes I forget, because I'm so satisfied with my new eating routine that I'm not tempted by other foods. Or sometimes I keep delaying the "special day," because I don't want to waste it on something that isn't really a treat.


Quite often the most calorie or carbohydrate laden food I eat is an innocuous starchy vegetable, like pumpkin. So, yes, I treat myself by pigging out on pumpkin. I prefer it to most ice creams.

That's what happens when you eat the food that suits you. You don't crave anything else.

No comments: