Friday, April 30, 2010

Making It From Scratch, Blog Carnivals and "MckLinky"

After I posted about making a "scrap hat," I went looking for blog carnivals focused on crafts for the post.  A few days later I saw that I had gotten a "hit" or "visit" from someone via Making it From Scratch.  It seemed like a nice blog carnival offering posts on crafts, cooking etc.  I do recommend that you visit.

There was one curious thing.  It stated that this edition, davka my first time participating, would be the last using blog carnival.  The carnival owner was converting it to a "MckLinky" listing.  I'm familiar with "it."  That's the method used by Ruby Tuesday and other "picture memes," or whatever they're called.

I know that hosting a standard, classic blog carnival is a lot of work.  I've done it more times than many for at least four different carnivals.  But I must say that as a visitor they are nicer and more welcoming than the MckLinky list, though I like the set up of Making it From Scratch better than Ruby Tuesday.  Simply, Making it From Scratch requests a title or short description of the post, while Ruby Tuesday just asks for the name of the blogger.

As a blog carnival "owner," I consider the fact that the classic blog carnival "floats" from blog to blog is a way of getting more people involved in my carnival, the Kosher Cooking Carnival.  We're in our sixth year already.  Once someone hosts an edition, he or she promotes it and exposes it to a new group of people, since no two bloggers have exactly the same fan base.

What do you think? 

2 comments:

Minnesota Mamaleh said...

not being familiar with anything else, i think the carnival format is completely fun and, for lack of a better word, convenient! i love having one place to visit and get a sampling. indeed, seeing it posted at different spots does add an element of new-ness, exposure and creativity. you just never know what you're going to get! :)

Batya said...

"MckLinky" is good if the owner is the only host. For me the great thing about having various hosts (nu, are you interested?) is widening the base of fans and readers. Blog Carnival is more flexible.