Sunday, November 13, 2016

Reflecting on a Strange Self-Portrait

This morning, when I was about to pour my second mug of coffee, I noticed my face staring at myself from the top of the French Press. So, being the coffee-crazed, overtired, amateur photographer I am, I tucked my hair in a bit better and went running for my camera.



Am I nuts?

Today we live in a world of selfies, twitter, Facebook, video-talking/calls etc. I'm in touch with a whole bunch of people via Facebook about my coffee drinking. Some of them I really know in real life and are even relatives, or relatives of relatives whom I've known f2f my entire life. But there are others who live in different parts of the world whom I've met through blogging and Facebook. And there are those I could pass in the street and haven't a clue that we are great buddies in the world of Facebook or they know me "well" because of my blogs.

Over the years, and I've been blogging for well over a decade, more like a decade and a half, people have stopped me at various venues asking if I'm that blogger they read.

I'm old enough to remember the days when phone calls were a luxury. Each call was billed, and if you called out of your immediate district, you were charged even more. Today I have a phone deal (Golan) on my cellphone which allows me to call all over the world, and it's covered by my monthly fee. I don't take advantage of it all that much, but since it also has an option that allows people to call me as if I'm in either the USA or England, (the choices I made from the many foreign countries on the list) family and friends can call me as if I'm in New York or London. To me this is like Science Fiction. I haven't a clue as to how these things work. I'm still trying to figure out how a "photocopy" turns up in a different location aka a fax.

Also, I was raised when we used film for photography, and I was constantly threatened by my parents that they'd take away my camera if I wasted film on bad pictures. The developing and printing was so expensive then.

I guess I'm a bit insane as I try to keep up with the 21st century and all of the changes from my childhood, adolescence, early adulthood and even middle-age. Am I that old?

No comments: