Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Kitchen Chaos- Unexpected Delay, But Keep Smiling 😁

I'm glad I'm not doing more than just the kitchen.

OK, after living with a barely functioning kitchen for almost two years, if not longer, and not having a kitchen at all for over a week, do another couple of days really make a difference? I've been working very hard on myself not to get hysterical over things. Not long ago, a close friend died from cancer. A couple of weeks ago was the yartzeit, death anniversary, of neighbors, half a family, three children and the father who had been killed in a horrific car accident almost thirty years ago. So, I'm not going to allow myself to freak out over the kitchen. Fishtande vu?

Yesterday, when I was on the bus to Jerusalem and we had just left Shiloh, while there was still phone reception, I got a phone call from our kitchen guy.
"There's a problem. We need you."
"I'm on my way to Jerusalem."
"Oh, call when you get back."
"Why?"
"The countertop you ordered no longer exists. It's no longer being produced."
"But we double-checked."
"Yes."
"OK, I'll call when I'm on my way back."
Now for the backstory:
When I was choosing the wall tiles, sinks and faucets in a large Jerusalem store, I had with me my formica samples etc and also chose the countertop from samples on display. It was similar to what I had previously chosen, but more interesting. Then I discovered that it didn't appear in all of their "catalogs."
So I called my kitchen guy and had him check if it was really available or no longer being produced. He called the local guy who was doing the carpentry and counters who called his supplier, told him the model number and was told that there still was a supply. So we ordered it.
Then yesterday morning, as the counter guy took the dimensions/model of my new kitchen counters and was about to do my counters, he discovered that he didn't have enough. And then the phone calls were reversed in perfect chiastic structure until I got the call.
That's why yesterday late afternoon, I had to re-choose my countertops. We carefully compared the samples to the formica, sink color and the wall tiles which are to be just over the counter. And surprisingly, ended up with my first choice from a few months ago.  Davka, then I had a slightly different color scheme and very different formica...

That's the wall tile on the "naked" countertop.
I must keep my sense of humor and put all this in proportion. Right?

No comments: