This Red Lentil Mushroom Vegetable Soup tastes unbelievably good, and I could say that I just threw a few things together.
I served this soup to break the Tisha B'Av Fast on a very hot summer day. It was absolutely perfect and required relatively little cooking. I didn't measure all the ingredients, and one can be flexible and creative. It isn't some sort of chemistry formula.
|You can see almost all of the ingredients here.|
- about half a cup of orange lentils (more can be used)
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium squash
- fresh garlic
- a can of mushroom pieces
- dehydrated parsley, fresh would be great
- a spoon or so of vegetable oil
- a bit of coarse salt and pepper
- put the lentils in the pot and cover plus with boiling water. Leave covered for an hour or more
- dice up the vegetables, including garlic, then add to lentils,
- put in pot with the mushrooms and liquid from can
- top with the oil and some more water and parsley
- bring to boil, add salt and pepper, then simmer
- 40 minutes cooking time, unless you decide to add carrots or any other root vegetable you want in the soup. They take longer to cook.