Friday, April 03, 2009

The Passover Oven--Not Just For Cake!


I'm a creative "problem solver" by nature, and that's how I like to think of my Diet Support Group. This week we discussed how to survive Pesach without gaining weight.


G-d willing, I won't have a problem, since, besides Shabbat, I don't eat the forbidden chametz at all during the week now. No more sandwiches on the run and no more noodles at home. I stopped baking prior to the diet, since I can't resist my own cakes, as simple as they are. The inexpensive store-bought ones we get don't tempt me.


Quite a few years ago, I stopped baking Passover cakes. They take so much time and work, and I could finish eating one in minutes.


"My ladies" and I were discussing our general Passover menu when I asked if they use ovens on Pesach. For years I didn't use an oven on Passover, because it's so hard to clean properly, but then I bought a large "toaster oven." One of the women said that she has one, too, "only for baking cakes."


"There are lots of other, more dietetic things, you can bake in the oven." I replied.


To lose weight and stay healthy, we have to have lots of tasty healthy foods to eat. If we don't make ourselves enough good food, we'll be hungry and tempted by the fattening unhealthy stuff. Many unsuccessful dieters don't eat enough. Yes, that's right. They keep depriving themselves of food, so their metabolism slows down.
Eat more, but the right things, to lose weight.

No comments: