Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Diet Support Group, Topic Ideas

I guess it's sort of crazy that I'm running this diet support group, though I've never experienced being in one. The women aren't complaining. They know that I'm experimenting on them, so that later on, I can make a business out of it, G-d willing.

So far, the routine is weighing everyone as they come in and writing their weight in my book. I don't say their weight out loud. If they want to, that's their business. I do my best to encourage. For example one came in over a week after the Passover holiday warning everyone that she certainly gained weight. Her weight was exactly the same as the meeting almost a month earlier. So I said:

"OK, so you gained weight over Pesach, but you've already lost it. That's great. Now you'll continue losing weight."

Emphasising the good and encouraging them are important. I also try to be creative with each one's individual medical situation.

But the bulk of the hour's meeting must be some "main topic."

I prepare/research first. We've already discussed low carbohydrate fruits and the different vitamins in colored fruits and vegetables. I've touched on fat soluble vitamins and the difference with water soluble vitamins. I'll give more information and recipes about that. It's important, because their are neighbors trying to promote raw diets and juicing. I've decided to go much more conventional, just adding the Blood Type Diet.

Today's conventional diet is much healthier than the old style conventional. There's lots of salad, even unlimited.

A friend who wants more of a "phone support" set-up has asked for information about which foods "go to which part of the body," or how to lose weight from the stomach and heart areas. (I need links with info.) Those are good questions. I suggested that she do her "nut noshing" early in the day with the cut vegetables she snacks on. She's getting too many calories from that before bedtime. And I'm convinced that she'll be less hungry at night if she eats her nuts in the morning.

I have to research the topic of misreading signals. Too many people eat when they need to drink water or go to sleep. Apparently, besides mimicking ADD/HD symptoms, insufficient sleep also causes diabetic symptoms and overeating.

If you have any suggestions about topics, or if you've ever gone to a good weight loss support group and can give me some pointers, please let me know.

Thanks!!

6 comments:

Toto said...

Kol hakavod! It's exciting to watch you building this from the ground up! And especially after you've had such success.

One thing I always loved from going to Weight Watchers was having the little booklet where I tracked my weight. I liked seeing the progress visually.

Also, maybe you could give them something practical to incorporate each week, a new "habit of the week" per say.

Sounds like you're doing great, keep it up and keep posting about it! :)

Batya said...

Thanks Emah S, those are good idea. Since I don't charge, I can't afford to give them anything. I've given photocopies, but that's it.
I think I'm going to push again for a diet diary. Nobody has kept it.

Leora said...

This is great! I'm just here to cheer you on. Rah, rah.

One of my friends who has run "fat" groups as she sometimes calls them says talk about the feelings. People often don't realize the levels of emotional feelings that they attach to food, meals and favorite foods.

Batya said...

Thanks for the idea. I may do that at a later stage. Coaching is more like behavioral therapy.

Actually, for those who aren't losing, because they don't eat enough, feelings may be the "reason." Some people think they have to suffer to lose weight.

Keli Ata said...

Sounds like your group is off to a great start! Best of luck and success with it:)

Batya said...

Thanks, keli, every week I research and the women thank me and say they've learned something new.