Thursday, April 30, 2009

Do People Really Spend That Much?

While I was surfing through the New York Times I saw a headline that looked just up my alley:

Three fashion stylists join the writer on a trek to find chic pieces for the 40-plus customer.

I'm about to go into the next decade, so for sure they meant me. I've been "40-plus" for quite awhile.

I was expecting some advice for real women. Instead the writer wrote:
"Although we didn’t work with a budget, we were strict with our choices; each piece had to be worth the money, as well as be age-appropriate, whether it was a $55 cardigan from Topshop or a $3,000 Rick Owens leather jacket."
"The Lim boutique, to our surprise, yielded a lot of affordable, well-made clothes, notably a tailored cream jacket ($550) and a silk jumpsuit ($450)."
"But, looking at a $1,400 silk print dress, Brana said with a rueful laugh, “I don’t know anymore if that’s expensive or not.” She decided that it was a good buy, along with a $2,100 metallic leaf-patterned coat at Marc Jacobs and a below-the-knee striped jersey dress with a long, winding sash."
"...at Diane Von Furstenberg, where Darina pulled out a beige suede coat ($885) and a flared olive cotton skirt with a canvas belt ($330)."

Next trip to New York, I'll just stick to my usual sales racks.

And for today's Health Tip, I suggest that you watch and listen to this. Be prepared to laugh. Remember that laughing is healthy!

9 comments:

Keli Ata said...

LOL. This post DID make me laugh! I remember my mom taking me shopping downtown as a kid. We'd usually head for AM&A's...and the bargain basement. Nice clothes and a decent price and, the cafeteria was in the basement too.

Robert Hall for winter coats. When I was really little, around 5, my godmother made me the most beautiful dresses. Boy could she sew! Sewing I now realize is a real talent.

Happy times. The only time we really shopped at expensive stores like Berger's was for special occassions like graduations, weddings, proms etc.


I get a kick reading women's magazines. The fashion sections always have pieces on dressing great on a budget. Um, a $200 sweater ain't a budget in my book. Neither is a $75 belt.

The people writing these articles have terrific high paying jobs.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Just think of those articles like artifacts from a different planet.

We do not live in the same world!

FWIW, I would choose my world over theirs any day of the week, but especially on Shabbatot and Chagim!

Keli Ata said...

You're right. They are on a different planet. I much prefer ours.

Batya said...

Keli, RivkA, B"H we have the same values. Such an outrageous waste of money.
Last summer when I was in NY I got some stuff in Loehmann's and from the "Half price of the sales price" rack in Lord & Taylors of all places. Less than $20 for a good sweater.
And the other week, I traded clothes with a friend.

Maya / מיה said...

wow, that's insane. I'm trying to figure out if $1700 is way too much to pay for an 8 week intensive ulpan (I think it is)... but the idea of spending that much on a dress (and calling it a good value) is incredible to me!!

Batya said...

Maya, That does sound a lot for a two month ulpan, but it's probably geared to American prices for tourists and tax deductible deals.

I saw that the Matan summer program was over $200 a week, lots more than I paid this winter for an excellent series including tours. Try to negotiate a better price. If you can't then look for courses geared for Israelis in literature, requiring writing papers. Before you sign up/pay, speak to the teacher to explain what you need from it.

Keli Ata said...

BTW--I think a lot of women are relating to this post--it's on the Most Popular list on J Blog:)


Shabbat Shalom.

Keli Ata said...

I'm still shaking my head at a $3,000 leather coat. I'd like to interview the people who wrote the article and ask, "what were you thinking?"

Batya said...

keli, I'm glad that I'm in the majority on this!