Saturday, April 25, 2009

Just What I Had Wanted To Hear: "You look awful in that skirt!"

Really!

I'm not being sarcastic, facetious, ironic or anything like that. After five months of the Start Fresh weight loss diet, I was waiting for some "hints" that I had ought to retire my "straight" skirts.

It has been bothering me that even with 23 pounds, or 10 kilos off, I can still wear the same clothes. The skirts aren't falling off. OK, most do have at least some elastic, even the zippered ones. So I guess that I just don't stretch the elastic as much as before.

I really was happy to hear my friend tell me how ridiculous I look in the skirt, that it just hangs on me like a badly fitted sack.

Today, I wore a relatively new skirt. I bought it barely a year ago. It's an A-Line, with an elastic waste. It cost a lot of money. It doesn't feel the same as I remember. I remember "filling it out." Now it just hangs.

I'm supposed to feel happy, but being that I'm less than half way through my weight loss, --don't say "diet!-- I know that this isn't the time for a totally new wardrobe, as if I could afford one. I just need to weed through my closets and take out the big of the clothes and leave what still looks OK. I must spend as little as possible, because G-d willing by next summer I'll be at least another size or more smaller.

Let's just call this the "problems of the rich." No, I'm not "rich in money." Thank G-d my "changes in eating" are paying off, and I'm losing weight. I shouldn't complain.

4 comments:

rickismom said...

Once, when I lost a large amount of weight (which I have gained back, unfortunately), I solved the problem by taking the clothing "in". (Although if you regain, you'll be without clothing....)

Batya said...

Rickismom, One of the "keep the weight off" techniques is to rid your closet of large clothes. In theory, once the slim clothes start getting tight, it's back to the diet. Of course, that doesn't always work.

Also, some of the clothes are old enough for me to willingly say good bye to.

That's also why I'm trying not to think of my new eating as a "diet." Simply, or not so simply, I must continue eating like this all my life, or my weight will go up again.

RivkA with a capital A said...

This was a good post.

I used to joke that I needed to clothes swap with someone who was losing weight...

There is a freeswap in the Hevra l'Haganat Hateva once a month or so. It's on Friday mornings, which is why I never can get it together to go....

Batya said...

There are some very good clothing "gmachim" where you can find nice things and donate what you have.