Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Trying To Reorganize

Some things ought to change here. I can start with the sign on the door which celebrates Purim, the holiday we had almost two months ago. Somehow, with all of my Passover cleaning, I skipped the front door. Not that there's any forbidden chametz on the sign, but it's ridiculously irrelevant.

Today's Holocaust Memorial Day, the beginning of our "getting ready for Yom Ha'atzma'ut, Israel's Independence Day. Actually, I don't really agree with the connection between the Holocaust and the State of Israel. The Zionist enterprise/movement began before the Nazis, and I don't like the idea that the world should think they did us a favor to compensate our suffering. Our Jewish State is part of a much longer history, but this isn't my "political blog."

Let's get back to this blog, me-ander.

I figure, rather realistically, that we're not getting any younger, and we can't always count on the kids being able to help us with the heavy physical Pesach schlepping. This year we set up by ourselves and then my husband was crippled by back trouble, so I won't let him schlepp things back up and down the attic ladder.
So, the solution is to find space down here, in the house for as many things as possible. It's too late to redesign the house with a laundry room and/or kitchen large enough for a "Passover closet." I measured the metal closet in the laundry room to see if the Pesach oven would fit, and it would. We just have to raise the shelf over the bottom shelf.
If I could get rid of some of the puzzles stored in that closet, it would also free space, and there's space on the top of the closet. So, if most of the bulky Passover things can be there, it would help in the future. The bulky things are the dish tubs, dish racks and a couple of super-sized pots.


Years ago, before we had internet, during the years in between computers, when I wasn't blogging, when the kids were home and younger, I did jigsaw puzzles, and we have so many. I don't know what to do with them.
The closet also houses games we used to play on Shabbat, like Othello, scrabble and more. Those are worth saving, since the kids will grown into them.
I guess the easiest of all these chores would be to decorate the door in something more timely.

No comments: