Monday, February 23, 2009

Back Blogging

Internet has returned.

Saturday night, just after 11pm, the screens went white on the computers in our home. At first we waited patiently expecting that it was one of those momentary glitches.

But the moment went into plural, and it seemed like I'd never finish the sentence or phrase I had begun. The usual green lights were flashing from our Bezek modem, but netvision claimed some pop3 malfunction.

It was a good excuse for me to hit the sack expecting full service in the morning. But in the morning there was no improvement. Netvision was still claiming those pop3 problems. I gave them a call:

"We are aware of some technical problems and are taking care of it."
So I checked in periodically, but the patient was still sick.

I went to babysit for the grandkids and quickly checked my yahoo. The younger generation doesn't netvision.

I was concerned, because I needed a ride to a wedding and had sent requests to our local email list asking that people call me. So I sent another request. None of the phone calls I had made resulted in a ride.

Eventually, I got a call about a potential ride and set it up. Later I got another call and changed arrangements, figuring that a large van would be more comfortable than being crowded three in the backseat.

At the wedding, I discovered that other neighbors had return-emailed that I could go with them, but sans email for technical and location/occupation reasons, I never saw their replies. I did ask that people phone for that reason. Why do they think I spend every waking moment on the computer?

But I do have wonderful neighbors who are always generous and complained because they really wanted to give us rides.

Yes, it was a gorgeous wedding. Between the bride and groom there's such a combination of Jewish ethnic backgrounds, Eastern Europe Holocaust survivors, Morocco, Italy, Libya... Baruch Hashem! Two wonderful Jewish people getting married! MAZAL TOV!

No comments: