Friday, February 13, 2009

Don't Forget The Turkey

In Israel we can easily buy turkey parts; whole turkeys aren't the standard.

When I was the cook in our local pre-school, infants to three year olds, day care center, we had a cooking workshop about turkey. Apparently, it has close to the iron of beef with much less fat. It's more like chicken.

I frequently buy ground turkey meat and use it for meatballs and meatloaf. It has more flavor than chicken, too.

Another turkey treat is drum sticks (legs) and wings. I used to just cook up the drum sticks, but since some people found it too generous a portion, I now buy the wings, which is a much better deal. The percentage of meat to bone is better, making it less expensive per serving. The wings are cut and much, much meatier than chicken wings, which are just lots of skin, bones and feathers.

Yesterday I cooked up a package of drum sticks and a package of wings, turkey of course. I added an onion, paprika and enough red wine so it wouldn't burn. Since I'm on Start Fresh kosher weight loss diet, I didn't put in dried fruit, raisins and prunes. The sugar per serving from the wine is negligible, since there was hardly any wine.

I don't cook vegetables in the meat, because it will absorb too much fat, and I eat only minimal starch, so carbohydrates don't get added either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use ground turkey for burgers and meatloaf whenever I make it.

Batya said...

Ahh, t, no wonder you like my cooking. Nu, when are you going to be in the neighborhood?