Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Chickpea Mushroom Vegetable Soup


Yes, it tastes as good as it looks!

Like many Jewish housewives, this is the season to try to use up what has been hiding in the pantry before the Passover Holiday. I'm not quite sure when I bought a package of chickpeas, but it was certainly many months ago, most probably in the summer or even the spring. That's because I found it unopened in the fridge. If it had been bought in the fall or winter, it would have been in the closet.

Beans can keep for years. Just look at the expiration date on the packages, but like many Jewish housewives I like to get the house as empty of food as possible before Pesach.

Usually I make my vegetable soups with quicker and easier to cook lentils, split peas etc, not beans or chickpeas which need more soaking and cooking. But Saturday night when I realized that I'd be home most of Sunday and Monday, I began preparing the chickpeas for a soup.
  1. I checked for bugs and stones first; all was clear. Then before going to bed I left them soaking in water. In the morning, I spilled out the water, added more and boiled them. Then I let them simmer and then they sat in the hot water. I ate one to see if they were sufficiently soft, and they were chewy enough. 
  2. Time for the cut vegetables:
  • onions
  • garlic
  • carrots
  • squash
  • mushrooms
  • a couple of spoons (I never measure) of vegetable oil
  • salt, pepper and parsley
    3. Saute the vegetables in a covered pan on a low flame until they begin to soften.
    4. Add the chickpeas, including the water, and even add more water--boiling water for faster cooking. 
    5. After half hour or more, when it all seems cooked, but not overcooked, add the salt, pepper and parsley. Cook another few minutes, turn off heat and leave it for at least ten minutes before serving.

EXACT MEASUREMENTS ARE NOT IMPORTANT!!

Enjoy! I'd like to know how it came out if you try the recipe.

No comments: