Thursday, February 23, 2017

Trick to Speed Up Perked Coffee

As many of you probably know, I've been making my morning coffee in a French Press of late. I have a stock of American coffee, which brews great in it. The French Press doesn't give you a really hot cup of coffee, which doesn't bother me all that much, since I don't drink or eat anything super hot. But I really think, there should be thermal or even electric French Presses to provide nice hot coffee, especially for those of us who make a double or triple batch to get our inner motors functioning in the morning.

My old fashioned classic stove top percolator makes a really steamy cup/mug of coffee and can even be covered to keep hot or just leave it on the stove over a low maintenance heat. But the downside for me now is that I'm using an old electric hotplate type of stove which takes ages to heat up and bring the water to a boil.

So, today I decided to try a trick. I turned on the stove and also boiled up water in my electric kettle. While it was boiling, I put the body of the percolator on the stove with a bit of water. In the meantime I put the Turkish Coffee into the percolator, so it would be ready to quickly be assembled. Once I had boiling water,  I poured it into the percolator, assembled all the parts and left it to perk. When the absolutely delicious and invigorating coffee aroma reached the den, I returned to the kitchen and poured myself some coffee. Then I left what remained for mug-full #2  on the stove to keep warm. Electric stoves stay hot for quite a while.

I sure enjoyed my coffee this morning.


No comments: