Monday, April 23, 2007

Can't be two places at once

Israeli Flag at half-mast

It wasn't all that long ago, when there was only one ceremony on Israel's Soldiers Memorial Day. It was at the local school. I remember watching it from my friend's backyard, which overlooks the basketball court where all important large outdoor events took place. There were also years when I stood with the parents and teachers, since I played both roles.

Then Shiloh joined the "family" of communities with Arab terror and war victims in our cemetery, and we began having ceremonies there, too. Each year the ceremony gets larger and larger. More and more people attend, including the adult children of Shiloh, who were once students in our school.

All over Israel the cemeteries with military sections and special military cemeteries are the location for the ceremony commemorating the dead soldiers and victims of Arab terror attacks.

I wish we hadn't joined that club.

Moshe Keinan and the Valley of Shiloh
saying psalms at the graves of the terror victims and soldiers

4 comments:

Susan said...

Hi- I came from Marallyn's site to read your story. Thank you for letting me drop by.

Susan from Oklahoma!

Batya said...

and thank you for visiting

marallyn ben moshe said...

i too wish you weren't part of that club...sigh

Batya said...

There's no going back.