Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Very Public Cancers

It wasn't that long ago, at least for someone of my age, when cancer was kept secret, sort of like, lehavdil--to differentiate, venereal disease. One neither admitted it or discussed it.

Today, there are still people who like their "privacy" about their medical conditions, even if it means giving up the love, support, understanding and all sorts of accommodations they could be receiving.

I remember how shocked the Israeli public was when it was announced that Golda Meir had been suffering from Cancer even before she became Prime Minister. She had been portrayed as such a strong, energetic figure. After her Yom Kippur War mistakes forced her to resign, she died of the disease.

American presidential hopeful, Rudy Giuliani fought his cancer publicly, like he fought his other enemies.

A pioneer of public cancer sufferers and survivors is Betty Ford, whose announcement, soon after her husband became US President, encouraged others to be tested and is credited in saving lives.

I was both moved an impressed while reading Greer Fay Cashman's story of her cancer. First I looked at the picture of the bald woman, knowing she looked very familiar; I had met her. Then I began to read and checked who had written it.

Cancer is becoming so common, so frequent. Sometimes I wonder if it's because all of the testing.

Now all of the political, family and medical "experts" are publicly debating the wisdom of the decision John and Elizabeth Edwards made about whether or not he should continue his campaign for the US Presidency. Considering that the survival rate is statistically higher for those busy and happy, I'd say that the Edwards' decision is probably the best for them. They've also taken their young children out of school, and the children will be "homeschooled," accompanying their parents everywhere. I have no opinion on his suitability to be US President, but I do hope that his wife recovers; miracles do happen!

I definitely think that today's openness concerning cancer is good.

Refuah Shleimah, Complete Recovery to all the sick.

No comments: