Tuesday, May 17, 2005

new visitors and teaching

I've been noticing new visitors. Welcome. I'll be adding blogs to my sidebar, as soon as I can look another html in the eye. Hevel Havalim sure got my eyes crossed from all those symbols and codes. But it was worth it, quite a challenge.

Now I really should be writing up part of a test, though what I've prepared is long enough for the end of the day. I had the 9th grade test post-poned, because we really didn't get much done, due to an experiment. No, I'm not a science teacher, though there's a science to teaching. We re-combined the two weakest groups for awhile, using both teachers. Originally there was just one group with me as the teacher, but I insisted that some of the kids were on a much lower level, and they brought in another teacher to take them. That's because the kids were impossible and didn't let the others learn.

Well, unfortunately, they're still impossible and shouldn't be in the school. There are special schools for kids like them. But the funny thing is that they're the ones who complained about the arrangement and insisted on going back to their separate group. So I'll have another two weeks for the test and teach my kids more. They're really relieved that the problem kids are out.

The tenth grade is almost finished with their book, so I have to find movies for them as a reward. Problem is that all the movies have at least one scene that could get me fired. It's not fair.

2 comments:

Esther said...

The problems you describe with your students sounds familiar. My oldest sister, who teaches in NY, faces similar issues. In one of her old jobs, she spent almost 80% of her time disciplining the kids rather than teaching and it really upset her. Makes me sad you're going through that in Israel too. What do you think is so different about kids today and say...maybe 20 years ago? I can't believe it's always been this bad.

Batya said...

All the individual attention they get in the lower grades takes away their responsibility.