Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I'm glad I don't have a ticket!

The new airline regulations about carry-ons are getting me nervous. I last flew the day the new regulations were announced. Yes, I landed in Israel from New York on August 10. Since then, not only nail and needlepoint scissors are forbidden on flights, but mouthwash, moisturizers, water from home and other necessities are now restricted. For a while the duty free shops were selling less liquor and perfume, but I think the restrictions have been adjusted to preserve free enterprise.

Not long before the August 10th changes, the size and weight of permitted carryons also shrank. Now, if they seem too large, they're measured in a special box. If your bag doesn't fit, you'll have to replace it or send it in the hold.

That makes me nervous, since I always fill my carryon with my most important clothes, underwear and "valuables," just in case the suitcase doesn't meet me at my destination. And now, since carryons are very limited, and more necessities are flying unaccompanied by their owners, "More Baggage Goes Astray." Yes, Murphy rules the skies.

G-d willing, things will "lighten up" by my next trip, whenever. Or I'll have to "lighten up," since I'd have to lose a lot of weight in order to fit into my hostesses' clothes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With our big move coming up, I had the kids pack their bags yesterday. We packed their things in backpacks so that we won't have to check them and so they will be able to carry their own. I need to read the rules to make sure we don't try to take on any restricted items - are knitting needles still illegal?

Batya said...

Wendy, especially with the major move you're making, you ought to check. I'm not sure about knitting needles, but nobody stopped me from crocheting.