Friday, November 10, 2006

One-"pot" (frying pan) meal

Quick, easy, efficient cooking means using a minimum of pots and pans. The classic "one-pot" meal is a stew with meat or poultry and various vegetables all stewed or roasted together. I don't make it much, since I don't like my vegetables overcooked and fatty. The closest thing I do to that is my "left-over special" when I cook up an already cooked piece of chicken with freshly sliced squash and onion.

One favorite in my house, especially loved by the trekker, is made in a frying pan, generally a nice big one, and you must have a cover for it.

  • cut up some onion
  • squash
  • and potato
  • garlic, too
  • and other vegetables, if you want
  • put it all in the frying pan
  • with some oil
  • cover and cook until it's ready
  • stirring occasionally
  • then top with
  • an egg, or two per serving
  • and optional cheese
  • cover again for a couple of minutes
  • turn off the heat
  • and let it finish cooking
  • serve with salad (optional--though I eat salad with everything) and
  • freshly ground pepper, if you have
  • and salt if you insist

The perfect food for any meal, breakfast, lunch or dinner!

ps I never use Teflon pans. I love the crispness of the food cooked in a good stainless steel frying pans, and I don't think all that Teflon is healthy.

5 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

yum.

i've been campaigning in my house for someone to buy a covered frying pan. i'm not sure they have though!

Scribbit said...

I'll be trying this, thanks.

Batya said...

Sarah, so just buy one. Consider it yours. You won't be sorry.

scrib,
let me know how it comes out

marallyn ben moshe said...

sounds yummy...bet my family will love it too...thanks...shavuah tov

Batya said...

thanks,
I'm sure they will
Shavua tov to you, too