Saturday, May 20, 2017

What Happened to The Yummy Natural Goats Yogurt?

For the past few years I had been getting myself a wonderful plain goat yogurt in our local supermarket, but lately it's not stocked there. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a small goat yogurt in Jerusalem, but it was awful. It reminded me of the one I had in America. Instead of the pure white, it was pale yellow. And it had the consistency of a pudding, rather than a yogurt.

When shopping last week, I saw a different brand and decided to check ingredients before buying. Look what I discovered:


This brand has added starch, tapioca, to make it creamy. Yuck! That's the E1442:
E1442: Hydroxypropyl di-starch phosphateOrigin: Prepared by treating starch with propyleneoxide and phosphoric acid. The resulting starch is more stable against acid, alkaline and starch degrading enzymes. It also provides better colour and shine to products and has very good freeze-thaw properties.
Function & characteristics: Thickening agent
Products: Many food products
Acceptable Daily Intake: None determined
Side effects: It may slow down the degradation of food in the intestine
Dietary restrictions: None, modified starches can be used by all religious groups, vegans and vegetarians. 

No comments: