Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Pesach "Pig Out"

OK, I admit that I didn't stay on the straight and narrow for the entire Passover holiday.

Let's start with the good eating:

  • I didn't eat chocolate
  • I didn't eat Passover cakes, cookies or macaroons
  • at the Maimouna, I didn't have any of the special sweets or liquors, so tempting on the table
  • I didn't eat matzah brei, nor Savta Brei, which I didn't make at all this year
  • I didn't allow myself to get into the starving mode

That was the behavior I can be proud of.

On the other hand:

  • I snacked on almonds, twice (could be worse)
  • I snacked on charoset and ate too much applesauce. Applesauce is worse for dieters than a Baked Apples, because it's harder to measure and easier to overeat.
  • I made a meal of matzah and cheese and a bit of jam (sugarless,) ok, just one
  • At the Maimouna I ate one mouflatta smeared with honey and butter, but it was blessed, special for me by my neighbor as he smeared.
  • I didn't weigh myself, too scared

Compared to any other year, I guess I was very good. Now back on track to lose the rest of the weight. Considering that I don't like calling it a diet, since a diet is just a temporary technique to lose weight, I guess I didn't do all that badly. My aim is to establish new eating habits. G-d willing, I'll stick with them a lifetime, so it'll be natural.

2 comments:

Leora said...

Almonds should be on your diet. Very healthy. I think if you ate a lot of almonds, you might lose weight, because you would get satisfied from the protein and not crave fattening carbs. I think I saw a study about that somewhere.

You do very well. I eat a lot of cake on Pesach, because I make such yummy ones. I don't eat cake much the rest of the year.

Batya said...

I find it hard to control the almonds. I eat yogurt, and I don't crave carbs. It think the cooked vegetables help me there.

We have a great 3% yogurt here. I take that and fruit (and raw veggies) when traveling and have no cravings.

If you have milk fat, like the 3% yogurt, you won't crave ice cream. Cravings are because we don't eat enough of necessary foods.