Monday, January 09, 2017

Chickpeas, Tomatoes, Mushrooms and More Vegetable Soup


This is not my usual vegetable soup. First of all I used chickpeas instead of peas or lentils. And I also cut up a couple of tomatoes early in the cooking. I threw in a few peppercorns, too.

Chickpeas take ages to cook, but since I had the afternoon free, I didn't mind. First I left them soaking in boiling water in a covered pot. After a couple of hours I poured out the water and added more boiling water and then boiled it on the stove another couple of hours. Yes, I was home and had the time.

Then I began to add the rest of the vegetables and some coarse salt:

  • onion
  • garlic
  • carrots 
  • squash
  • tomatoes
  • mushrooms
I topped that off with some vegetable oil and cooked it another hour. After it hit a strong boil, I simmered it.


And that was it, the perfect vegetable soup for breaking the fast and other excuse.

No comments: