Thursday, March 09, 2006

No Big Deal Hamentaschen Cookie Dough

After the Easiest Ever Hamentaschen Filling, I guess it's time for my No Big Deal Hamentaschen Cookie Dough.

I found the same basic recipe in my first two cookbooks when I was a young mother, so it's really no big deal to give you my version of it. I usually double or triple it, since it's a waste of time to make just a few Hamentaschen. Thirty-three years ago, when my second daughter was due to be born, I baked early and froze them. I haven't done that since, but I'm sure it can be done successfully. I bake with whole wheat cake flour and brown sugar.

2 cups flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
3 T vegetable oil
either lemon rind or t vanilla

First mix dry ingredients.
Then add eggs, oil, flavor.
Mix (I use a spoon and hands).
Roll on floured board to 1/4 " or 1/2cm thick.
Cut into circles; I use a large glass mug.
Spoon some Easiest Ever Hamentaschen Filling, or any other filling, into the center.
Fold into triangles.
Bake on greased pan or pan lined with "baking paper." Medium, like for a cake, heat.
Until "lightly browned." The correct color will depend on your flour and sugar.
Cool on rack or towel, or almost anything that they won't stick to.

Yummy, yum, yum!

Have a wonderful Purim, or just eat them, because they're delicious!

3 comments:

wendy said...

Those sound very yummy - so I had to look up Purim - maybe I can make your cookies and we can read about Esther for our Monday family night.

Just to be sure, I mix either jam or honey with poppyseeds until it gets thick? I don't know what the difference is between cake flour and regular flour so hopefully my regular will work.

elf said...

You can definitely make a hamentashen dough like this with all-purpose flour. Whole wheat pastry flour (which has a lower gluten content than regular whole wheat flour) should also work.

The difference between all-purpose flour and cake flour is that cake flour is more finely ground. I don't know anything about whole wheat cake flour. (Muse?)

Incidentally, a friend of mine makes a hamentashen dough much like this with orange rind rather than lemon rind. I've tried both, and they're equally good.

Batya said...

I've also used vanilla extract.