Thursday, September 21, 2006

Vegetables & Meatballs

I haven't really posted a recipe for a while. It's not like I don't cook. It's just that my cooking is very simple.

Today I did something just a bit different. A neighbor is sick, and I was asked to send over a meal. It always seems easier to have a meal that needs few containers. For some reason I thought of chopped meat. And of course it must be healthy, so with vegetables.

Here's what I did:

  • first I put some cloves of garlic in a pot
  • then chunks of onion, cut larger than usual
  • thickly sliced carrots
  • pieces of squash (zucchini-type), double the size of the carrot pieces, since they take less time to cook
  • soy oil and I started to sautee it all
  • a can of tomatoes; actually I had been planning canned tomatoes, but there wasn't any in the pantry
  • some water to thin it

While it was coming to a boil I...

  • took a pound of chopped meat (actually a beef-chicken combo they sell here)
  • added an egg
  • and a diced onion
  • some matzah meal to "hold"

By then the vegetables were boiling, so I "dropped," double-spoon method, "balls" into the stew. When I finished that I decided that it needed pepper and threw in 4 little black peppers. I stirred it a couple of times. Forty-five minutes later it smelled ready.

I'll cook up a carb, cut up a salad, and I'll bring it over later in the afternoon.

No comments: