Monday, September 04, 2006

They shouldn't know!

Last night, during my weekly basketball game, a thought suddenly crossed my mind.

Those lovely young people who have been giving me their seats in the buses shouldn't see me playing ball!


Then I'd lose the privileges I get for "looking old!" That would be a shame. It's a bit embarrassing at times, but I do prefer sitting to standing. I'm certainly not willing to undergo any of the "beauty procedures" some people suffer to look younger. I think they look ridiculous, and then people expect you to be stronger and perkier. I'd hate to have people saying to themselves: "Isn't she too young to be so forgetful?" Since I don't take any "extreme measures" to look younger, I can easily joke about my increasing age and the "disadvantages."

Being the oldest on the basketball court makes it perfectly acceptable for me to state: "Don't expect me to run." I can pass, catch and shoot well enough. Last night I was the first to score in both "halves," not that we keep score. It's not that I just stand near the basket, like a dummy; I take long strides, rather than run. It's ok; our game is slow enough, and the others accept my "handicap." So few of us show up, the organizer can't be fussy.

But I can see they do worry about me, like last night, when the ball hit me in the chin so hard I felt my jaw being pushed to where it shouldn't be. Everything went into slow motion. With one hand I held onto the ball, and with the other I checked my face to make sure all the bones had returned to their proper places. Everyone's eyes were on me. It was the last play of the game. I got my jaw moving almost normally. Then I put both hands on the ball, eyes on the basket, I shot... and missed.

2 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

must have been a no look pass :)

Batya said...

Well, it's more that with middle-aged vision, I don't focus too quickly close up.