Sunday, September 03, 2006

It takes more than a tennis ball to kill a legend!


I'm not a dedicated sports fan. What interests me the most is the personalities behind the balls, bats, rackets, tracks etc.

I have vague memories of the young Andre Agassi. I was a busy young mother of five when he first hit the headlines. Actually, I'm old enough to be his mother.

Last week I began following the NY Times articles about his "last tennis match." Many people figured that round one on the U. S. Open would be it, but he conquered his pains and opponent. So everyone gathered again for round two.

That proved to be a marathon ordeal of mind over matter, lasting that maximum five sets and three-hour-and-48-minutes. In the ecstasy of the game and savoring the effect of the cortisone shot he received, Agassi played tennis with a skill and strength he once took for granted.

Once it was over, his body ruled, and he could barely make it off the court.



But though Agassi had found a way to fight through fatigue and overcome the eighth-seeded Marcos Baghdatis in five routinely thrilling sets, he could not find a way to make it all the way to the gate.

He grabbed at the back of his leg and then slumped to the sidewalk, stretching out on his back with a plastic DVD case under his bald head for a pillow: trying to alleviate the pain.

That's something I can easily relate to. I was never a great athlete, but I love physical activity. My latest is basketball with the ladies. OK, I'm the oldest and some are younger than my youngest child, but I get into the game, feel great, and then... when it's over I feel... something else. Yes, aches and pains. But it's worth it.

Agassi's struggles are seen by the entire world, and the next round is today, NY time; (photo credit.) I wouldn't dare predict the outcome. I'll just say that these last matches will be hard for him to recover from physically. He has great mental strength for sure.

Of course the fiction writers would have him winning the final like he won the second round. Then he could leave in dreamlike glory.

The screenwriters of "Remember the Titans" did that sort of thing by having Gerry's accident before the final, rather than after it.

Yes, there probably will be a movie about Agassi, if he agrees to it. I wonder who the star will be...

3 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

Agassi is a legend of a tennis player.

But having seen Baghdatis play at the Australian Open in January, there is another tennis legend in the making. He's young but a tough competitor with what seems to be a vibrant personality and a fan club so pumped that you couldn't help but join in!

Batya said...

So whom were you cheering for?

Sarah Likes Green said...

Since Agassi wasn't playing then... Baghdatis of course! (I don't even remember who the other player was.)