Thursday, March 18, 2010

Getting Ready, Passover Progress

My freezer is slowly emptying out.  Actually, some of the meat is Kosher for Passover, but obviously the rolls and challah aren't.  I have given away the "batzek allim," puff pastry dough to a neighbor.  Usually I call her a couple of days or hours before the "bidikat chametz" deadline for having the forbidden-on-Passover chametz, but this year I knew that there was nothing I'd cook with it and wanted it out of the house.


There's plenty of Passover food already for sale in the Machane Yehuda Market.  I'm not in the market for that type of food.


I just bought myself some fruit.

Today I cleaned out the kitchen closet which is always the first.  I don't think I'll be doing the rest of the house very well this year for various reasons.  We only eat in the kitchen, dining-room, living-room and yes, I must admit, in the den, though no chametz as far as I know.  I don't eat chametz much.  I have my challah on Shabbat and that's it.  I don't eat cookies, pasta, cake, cereals etc.  For almost a year and a half I've been on a low carbohydrate diet.  I stay away from all wheat products.

OK, back to work.

3 comments:

Jennifer in MamaLand said...

Silly as it may sound, casual photos of the bounty of Machaneh Yehudah is the single biggest thing that has spurred my desire to make aliyah (bimheirah v'yameinu!) over the past year.

(If I ever want to make my husband feel terrible, I mention the fact that he ate halvah there and never thought to bring back any for me.)

I made it to Israel for only two days before my father died; the market was on the itinerary for the day after I flew home.

When I eventually get back (Nefesh b'Nefesh, Summer of 2013???), I plan to spend weeks eating every sweet thing available there, THEN settling in to the wealth of fruits and veg. :-)))

Sorry this comment is so long; just want you to know you should not take any aspect of living ba'aretz for granted.

Jennifer in MamaLand (yes, me again) said...

Feel free to rearrange those last few words in any order that makes sense. It's late here. :-)

Batya said...

Jennifer, G-d willing, you'll be here on aliyah even sooner. The shuk is changing so much, you'll be able to buy all your clothes here, too and have lunch with me in one of the great restaurants. Hurry home here!