Sunday, October 31, 2010

Nothing Fancy, Sticking to My Regular "Elite" Turkish Coffee

A few months ago, I thought I'd treat myself to a reasonably priced mocca coffee from the supermarket shelf.  It took the longest time for me to open it.  I do like to postpone the pleasere of "treats."   It's vaccum packed, so that wasn't a problem.  I used it in the drip/filter coffeemaker and discovered that it barely colored the water and had even less flavor.

This morning my coffee container didn't have enough for my usual two giant mugs, so I supplemented it with the mocca.  Yuck!  What a waste of good Turkish coffee!

Maybe I should just pour the rest of those pathetic brown "things" into the garden so I won't be tempted to ruin any more mornings!

8 comments:

rickismom said...

I bought the mocca, expecting a treat , and decided that it didn't taste "mocca", and didn't taste good. Thank G-d my older daughter likes it, so I was able to pawn it off on her....

Batya said...

I'd love to send mine to her. It's such a waste to throw it out. I bought it in the supermarket by the Jm bus station.

Anonymous said...

Try the Elite Turkish coffee with cardamon, it's excellent & you can use very little sugar because of the cardamon. Just bring water to a boil, add sugar first, then a heaping spoonful of coffee per glass. Careful it doesn't boil over. Allow to setttle for a while.

Batya said...

a, thanks, next shopping trip I'll check out the price.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
My husband says that the Elite with cardamon (הל) is weaker caffeine-wise. IMHO the taste is weaker too, but sometimes I like it for a change. I still remember the time the only coffee beans my father found at the supermarket were French Vanilla. They should have been a delicate taste treat, but they were definitely fit for the compost heap.

Batya said...

I like strong coffee, so I guess I won't experiment much.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
The Elite with cardamon is very strongly cardamon. Try a ratio of about 5 parts regular Elite to 1 part Elite cardamon for strong coffee AND cardamon flavor. (I'll take responsibility for any loss incurred.)

Batya said...

Maybe just send me a couple of spoonfuls so I can experiment without the waste of purchasing... And what will I do with that awful faux mocca?