Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Low-Carb Latkes, Veggie Burgers

These "Low-Carb Latkes, Veggie Burgers" don't have to be reserved for Chanukah.  They can be served any time at all, even Passover or no special occasion.

*I used the food processor shredder on:
  • carrots
  • oinions
  • celeriac
  • squash
  • and one little potato
Then I mixed it with a couple of eggs, added salt and pepper and then a bit of matzah meal.

I shaped them into "patties" as you can see, dribbled a bit of oil on each, and then baked them in a medium oven until ready, cooked on both sides and inside, too.

Those at the Chanukah Party who are trying to keep their weight down were very happy with them.

*There's no such thing as exact measurements, sorry.  Choose the veggies you want, and you can add others, plus cooked/soft beans or lentils, and you need enough eggs to mix it and enough matzah meal to shape them.

6 comments:

Miriam said...

Batya I make these burgers all the time but I use bread crumbs instead of matza meal..keeps the burgers moisture.

ENJOY!
Miriam

Batya said...

I never use bread crumbs for anything, just matzah meal or nothing.

low carb recipes said...

I have to say these look great, I might have to give them a try but I will probably use almond flour instead of matzah meal just to get it a little more low carb, o and i wont use the potato.

Batya said...

lcr, You can certainly play with it and even add seeds etc. Let me know how it comes out.

Anonymous said...

I use sweet potatoes for a recipe from the New York Times (soooorry!....) which has measurements:

3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
1 medium onion
1/3 cup matzoh meal or unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs plus 4 egg whites
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
kosher salt and ground black pepper
olive oil to spray

again, I always use sweet potatoes and it tastes delicious.

Batya said...

a, sounds great! Thanks