Thursday, January 05, 2012

Simple, Healthy, Low Calorie, Low Carbohydrate Vegetable Soup

Today, like on many Jewish fast days, I cooked soup.  I find vegetable soup to be the best way of breaking a fast.  Many of you know that I have a popular vegetable soup I've been making for ages.  But today, I felt like making something else. 

Since the least expensive vegetables in Rami Levi discount supermarks are carrots and white cabbage, they were the main ingredients. 

Following are the ingredients.  Sorry, but I don't give exact quantities.
  • a handful, plus of white beans
  • an onion
  • garlic
  • 4 cut carrots
  • half cabbage, cut in small pieces
  • a couple of ripe tomatoes, cut in small pieces or use tomato paste or even catsup.
  • some oil and lots of water
  • I seasoned with coarse pepper and sweet paprika, salt optional
First you have to start cooking the beans.  If you have a long time, then just leave them soaking in boiling water for a few hours; cover the pot.  If you're in a rush, boil them on the stove for ten minutes, and then cover the pot with a heavy towel for at least an hour, preferably two.  Next pour out the water from the beans and add fresh boiling water. 
  • Start cooking the beans again. 
  • add the oinion, garlic and carrots
  • add a couple of spoons of oil
  • when the carrots are getting soft, add the cabbage and tomato
  • season
  • cook covered another half hour
That's it.  I love it!  I've been eating bowl after bowl all night.

2 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

I also like to break my fast on soup. Thus, the kids had lasagna tonight, but my husband and I had vegetable soup.

Batya said...

When my kids lived at home, I'd make fresh rolls, which they remember well. And I don't know the recipe any more. And I'd serve soup, too.