Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lucky Soldiers, Gush Etzion's Pina Chama

My amazing friend Sharon of Voices Magazine just blogged about her volunteering in the Gush Etzion's Pina Chama.  She works her shifts with Jill, who used to be my boss when I worked in advertising.  Small world, since I now write for Voices.

Even though I live far from Efrat/Gush Etzion, I'm familiar with their Pina Chama.  One of my favorite "only in Israel" stories is about it.  I don't know if I've blogged this before, but it's easier to blog it again than to search for a link.

My sons both served in the IDF as combat soldiers.  One of them found himself drinking coffee, eating cake and talking to the nice lady in the Gush Etzion Pina Chama.  Suddenly he said:
"My mother has friends in Efrat."
"Who's your mother."
"Batya Medad."
"I know her."
So, I got an email from her telling me that she she just met my lovely son.  And to make it even more interesting, in recent years, my son has become a friend of her son.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

The Pina Chama is a marvelous rest and food area for our brave chayalim and chayalot. It was opened in memory of 2 men murdered in terror attacks in the Gush. One of the men lived on my daughter's kibbutz. The other was a doctor from Carmi Tzur.


Miriam

Batya said...

Yes, turning loss into something great in their memories.